Cisco Unified MeetingPlace, Release 6.x -- Configuring the Time on the Web Conferencing Server
Using the NTP Configuration Feature
This functionality applies to Release 6.0(361.0) and later.
Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing automatically sets up the Windows operating system to use the Windows Time Service to synchronize its clock with the NTP server. This keeps the web server synchronized with the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Audio Server.
Note: By default, NTP uses UDP port 123. If your web server is in the DMZ and your Audio Server is not, you will have to open UDP port 123 in your firewall for the default NTP configuration to work. The default configuration is the web server synchronizing with the Audio Server as the NTP server.
You can also use an alternate NTP server instead of the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Audio Server. Complete this procedure to configure your system with an alternate NTP server.
Note: If you decide to use an alternate NTP server for your web server time synchronization, make sure that your NTP setup keeps the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Audio Server and web server perfectly in sync. If the two servers are not time-synchronized, certain features will not work.
Before You Begin
Stop the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing master service before you adjust the system clock time or perform a manual NTP synchronization.
Do not adjust the clock on the Windows computer while the web conferencing application is running on the system.
- Shut down the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing master service.
- Double-click the Window Time icon on the Windows system tray.
- Choose the Internet Time tab.
- Choose to automatically synchronize with an Internet time server.
- Specify your server name inside the Server: field.
We highly recommend that you manually verify that the clocks on the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Audio Server and your web server are synchronized. Use the date command on the Audio Server to obtain the current date and time. For more information, see Details of Technician Commands.
Configuring the Time Zone
If the Windows time zone does not match the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing server time zone, you must correct this discrepancy. The time zones may not match because you forgot to set the correct Windows time zone before installing Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing or because you have to relocate your Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing server from one time zone to another and you need to change the Windows time zone as part of this relocation.
To determine whether the time zones match, open the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing log, called GWSIM_eventlog_XXX.txt, and search for the string "time zone".
If the time zones are the same, you will see a message similar to this:
Information: CompareTimeZone: Time Zones are the same between Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing and Breeze. Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing: (GMT-08) Pacific Standard Time and Breeze: (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US)
If the time zones are not the same, the system logs an error and you see a message similar to this:
MasterSvc Error: **** Time Zones are NOT matching between Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing and Breeze. Time Zone Offset-- Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing: GMT:+01 Breeze: GMT:-08
To change the time zone, follow these instructions:
- Stop the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing master service on all Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing servers that use the same database.
- Open the SQL Server Query Analyzer on the machine where the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing SQL database is located by following these steps:
- Click start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server > Query Analyzer.
- In the SQL Server field, choose (local).
- Select SQL Server authentication.
- Enter the login name of "sa" and the password.
- Click OK.
- Click Query > Change Database.
- Highlight the name of the slave database (such as MPWEB_XXXX_XXXX), and click OK.
- Enter the following SQL string:
- select * from PPS_ENUM_TIME_ZONES
- Click Execute Query.
- Look through the time zone records and find your time zone ID from the TIME_ZONE_ID field.
- Clear the command window by entering:
- UPDATE PPS_ACL_PREFERENCES SET TIME_ZONE_ID = < local_machine_timezone_id >
- where <local_machine>timezone_id> is the time zone ID of the local machine.
- Click Execute Query.
- Start the Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing service on all Cisco Unified MeetingPlace Web Conferencing servers.