|Attention: DocWiki has reached EOL and will be decommissioned January 25, 2019.|
Virtualization for Cisco SocialMiner
(→Updates to this Page)
m (1 revision)
Revision as of 20:15, 10 August 2011
|Note:||Product documentation may reflect varying names that appear in the application user interfaces and application programming interfaces of this product. These names may include Cisco SocialMiner, mmca, and ccp.|
Updates to this Page
The following is a list of significant updates to this page:
|November 2010||Virtualization of Cisco SocialMiner on UCS C Series hardware.|
|April 2011||Added link to Unified Communications Virtualization Supported Applications|
|April 2011||IOPS info|
|August 2011||IOPS info|
Information for Partners about SocialMiner Deployments
VM-Specific SocialMiner Hardware Requirements
Before you install the SocialMiner software in any server, you must address the following requirements:
- No other Cisco product can be installed on the same VM running SocialMiner.
- The VM disk allocation time depends on your VM environment. If you have created several VMs on the host server, your disk allocation takes a longer time. If you have not created any VM in your host server, your disk allocation takes a shorter time. During the course of testing in various environments at Cisco Systems, disk allocation has taken anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours for a 34 GB data space. Depending on your space requirement, be sure to make this empty space available for all SocialMiner deployments
- If you are performing a fresh install of SocialMiner in any deployment, be sure to verify that the virtual machine is also fresh (no previously-installed OS is present in the VM).
SocialMiner-Specific Details for VMware Requirements
All SocialMiner servers run on VMs using the Unified Communications Operating System (Unified OS or UCOS).
- SocialMiner ISO or DVD
- ESXi 4.0 or ESXi 4.1 must be installed prior to the SocialMiner installation. ESXi 4.1 requires a configuration.
- Cisco UCS Hardware - UCS C210-M2, SKU: UCS-C210M2-VCD2
Configuring ESXi 4.1
To ensure normal networking performace, configure the installed ESXi 4.1 host as follows:
- Use vSphere Client to log in to the ESXi host or its vCenter.
- Select host --> Configuration --> Advanced Settings.
- Select Net and scroll down slightly more than half way.
- Set the following parameters from 1 to 0:
- Net.Vmxnet3SwLRO *Net.Vmxnet3HwLRO
Reboot the ESXi host to activate these changes.
VM-Specific SocialMiner Software Requirements
The following software requirements apply specifically to SocialMiner:
- SocialMiner can only be deployed on servers using VMware ESXi 4.0 or ESXi 4.1.
- The downloadable OVF Templates has the hardware configuration for the SocialMiner VM's. This is the only configuration supported. Please use the SocialMiner OVF Appliance to install SocialMiner.
- For other third-party software requirements and for a list of approved UCS servers, see the server requirements and version compatibility with Unified CM sections in the Hardware & System Software Specification (Bill of Materials) for Cisco Unified Contact Center Enterprise Guide available at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/custcosw/ps1844/products_user_guide_list.html.
SocialMiner-Specific Information for OVA Templates
The SocialMiner OVA can be downloaded here: http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283613136&catid=278875240&softwareid=283733464
SocialMiner-Specific Information for Sizing Guidelines
The SocialMiner Production OVF includes the following settings:
- 4 vCPU
- 12 GB RAM
- 1 vNIC with static MAC address
- 2 vDisks:
- vDisk 1 = 146 GB Operating system, SocialMiner application binaries, Reporting database
- vDisk 2 = 256 GB Data store, Index store, ActiveMQ store, Unified OS logs and SocialMiner logs
The minimum SocialMiner IOPS requirement is 1400. Upgrades require 3000 IOPS for optimal performance.
Cisco SocialMiner-Specific VM Information on Installation, Timekeeping, and Best Practices
Creating the SocialMiner Virtual Machine
Perform the following steps in vSphere client to deploy the Virtual machines:
- Highlight the host or cluster to which you wish the VM to be deployed.
- Select File > Deploy OVF Template.
- Click the Deploy from File radio button and specify the name and location of the file you downloaded in the previous section OR click the Deploy from URL radio button and specify the complete URL in the field, then click Next.
- Enter the name of the VM machine that you are creating and the location where it will be created
- Choose the type of deployment (Production or Lab)
- Choose the datastore on which you would like the VM to reside - be sure there is sufficient free space to accommodate the new VM, then click Next.
- Verify the deployment settings, then click Finish.
- Update boot order as per instructions below
- Insert SocialMiner disk and follow SocialMiner installation guide.
Changing the Boot Order of the Virtual Machine
You must change the boot order of the Virtual Machine so that the system boots off the CD/DVD drive for the install.
To change the boot order of the Virtual Machine:
- In VMware vSphere Client, power off the virtual machine onto which you deployed the OVA template.
- In the left pane of vSphere Client, right-click the name of the virtual machine, and select Edit Settings.
- In the Virtual Machine Properties dialog box, select the Options tab.
- In the Settings column, under Advanced, select Boot Options.
- Under Force BIOS Setup, check the The Next Time the Virtual Machine Boots, Force Entry into the BIOS Setup Screen check box.
- Click OK to close the Virtual Machine Properties dialog box.
- Power on the virtual machine (The virtual machine boots into the BIOS menu)
- Navigate to the Boot menu and change the boot device order so the CD-ROM device is listed first and the Hard Drive device is listed second.
- Save the change and exit BIOS setup.
|Back to: Unified Communications in a Virtualized Environment|