Cisco is providing the community with a packaged version of the Openstack Folsom release with opensource components delivering additional service assurance functionality such as HA, monitoring, and Cisco enabled networking via Quantum.
We are currently updating our baseline puppet deployment manifests to address some issues raised by early adopters and additional testing of the Cisco Edition. Please check back after December 1st for an updated release which should simplify the changes needed to the build manifests.
Cisco Edition of OpenStack
The Cisco Edition of OpenStack is a validated deployment based on Puppetlabs modules and the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS platform. This package is qualified with specific Cisco reference architectures. Included in the Cisco Edition of OpenStack is a non-modified version of OpenStack Folsom, an open-source monitoring suite, and the necessary Puppet modules to deploy and manage Cisco OpenStack Edition on UCS/Nexus platforms.
The Cisco OpenStack Edition is based on the OpenStack Folsom release and is qualified on:
- Ubuntu 12.04.01 LTS
- Cisco UCS C-Series Servers
- Cisco Nexus SWitches
Included in the Cisco release are the following capabilities that have been configured and qualified:
- Active/Active HA: Unlike most existing solutions which are active/standby, Cisco has utilized off the shelf open-source components to provide an active/active, highly-scalable model for OpenStack. The architecture provides high availability for critical OpenStack services such as: RabbitMQ, MySQL, and API endpoints. This model is functional for Essex and being ported and qualified for the Cisco Edition of OpenStack.
- Monitoring: A basic architecture to monitor the system processes and physical components using Collectd, Graphite, and Nagios is qualified for the Folsom OpenStack release. The Cisco Edition provides the appropriate Puppet modules to enable this baseline monitoring model.
- Quantum for Cisco components: In addition to contributing to Quantum in Folsom, Cisco has qualified Quantum with its Quantum Plugin for Cisco products. The Qualification covers the new v2 API interface in Folsom and enables users to replicate Nova-like functionality on UCS and Nexus platforms.
- Support: The OpenStack@Cisco Team will provide support to customers through email firstname.lastname@example.org