MPLS Traffic Engineering: Specifying the TE Tunnel Name
To provide a name for a Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Traffic Engineering (TE) point-to-point (P2P) or point-to-multipoint (P2MP) tunnel, use the tunnel mpls traffic-eng name command in tunnel interface configuration mode. To remove the name from the tunnel, use the no form of this command. This functionality is introduced in Cisco IOS Release 15.1(1)S.
When configuring the tunnel name, consider the following:
- By default, the TE tunnel name is either the interface description or is hostname_ttunnel id.
- The name of the tunnel is limited to 63 characters. Spaces are not permitted.
- If tunnel name is configured, it overrides the default names, which are either the tunnel interface description or hostname_ttunnel id. If the TE tunnel name configuration is removed, TE resignals the LSP using the next preferred tunnel name source (the interface description or the default host name and tunnel ID). This is completed in break-before-make fashion; therefore, traffic may be lost.
- The TE tunnel name must be unique. It cannot be the same name as the interface description or the hostname and tunnel id.
- The command is available for tunnels that are configured in TE P2P tunnel mode or TE P2MP tunnel mode.
- In releases previous to Cisco IOS 15.1(1)S, changing the interface description does NOT result in the LSP being resignaled. The introduction of the tunnel mpls traffic-eng name command requires that the tunnel state be flapped before the signaled name is updated.