How to Use the AFG with the Virtual Floppy Drive
Using the AFG and Virtual Floppy
To use the platformConfig.xml file with a virtual machine requires the use of a virtual floppy drive on the virtual machine.
The platformConfig.xml file can be generated here http://www.cisco.com/web/cuc_afg/index.html
Create A New Virtual Floppy Image
Follow this procedure to create a new virtual floppy image using the Windows platform.
- Download and install Winimage (http://www.winimage.com/download.htm).
- In Winimage, select File > New.
- Select 1.44 MB from Standard format and click OK.
- Drag the platformConfig.xml file onto the Winimae window.
- Click Yes when prompted to inject the file into Winimage.
- Select File > Save As.
- Select Virtual floppy image from the Save as type dropdown list.
- Enter a file name and click Save.
Linux Virtual Machine
- Create an empty floppy image of 1.44 MB as root:
$ /sbin/mkfs.msdos -C <directory>/<imagefile.img> 1440
- Create a new directory called floppy1:
$ sudo mkdir /media/floppy1/
- Mount the directory:
$ sudo mount -o loop /path/imagefile.img /media/floppy1/
- Copy the XML file to the mounted directory:
$ cp platformConfig.xml /media/floppy1
- Unmount the directory:
$ umount /media/floppy1
Mac OS X
- On the terminal
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=1440 > floppy.img
- Open Disk Utility Application. Go to File -> Open Disk Image -> floppy.img (Command + Option + O)
You will get an error indicating "no mountable file systems) Click OK
- The Floppy Image will be added to the list of disks select it and go to the Erase Tab
- Change Format to MS-DOS (FAT) and Click Erase
- You can now copy the XML file the floppy image and eject it when you are done
Upload a Virtual Floppy Image to a Datastore
Follow this procedure to upload a virtual floppy image to a datastore:
- Start the vSphere client.
- If the host uses:
- Remote storage (for example, SAN), then select View > Inventory > Datastores.
- Local storage (for example, internal hard drive), then select the host and click the Summary tab.
- Right-click on a datastore and select Browse Datastore.
- Navigate to the desired directory and click the Upload files to this datastore icon.
- Select Upload File.
- Select the platformConfig.xml file and click Open.
- Click Yes when upload/download operation warning window appears.
- Close the Datastore Browser window.
Mount a Virtual Floppy Image
Follow this procedure to mount a virtual floppy image:
- Start the vSphere client.
- Select a virtual machine.
- Select Inventory > Virtual Machine > Edit Settings.
- Select Floppy drive from the Hardware tab.
- Select Use existing floppy image in datastore.
- Select Browse.
- Select All files from the file type dropdown list, if the virtual floppy image does not use the .flp extension.
- Locate the virtual floppy image and click OK.
- Enable Connected and Connect at power on under Device Status.
- Click OK.
|Note:||As with fresh installs on physical hardware, make sure the CD/DVD device is at the top of the BIOS boot order.|
|Back to: Unified Communications in a Virtualized Environment|