Locale installers enable localization (l10n) in Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) and Cisco Unified Presence Server (CUPS). Locales are essentially additions to the base CUCM product. As additions on top of the base product Locales require some special considerations. This document attempts to capture those special considerations.
Cisco Unified Communications Locale Installer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Locales for Cisco Unified Communication Manager (CUCM): User Locale, Network Locale
- Locales for Cisco IP Phone Only: Phone Only locale
- Locales for Cisco Unified Presence (CUP): User locale
Includes localized user interfaces for applications, devices and services, and localized spoken prompts. CUCM User locales also include the Network Locale for the same country. A user locale comprises of localized graphical user interface, telephone user interface and annunciators (audio prompts) that can be heard via a telephone. User locales are produced individually and are specific to a language and country combination.
(Combined) Network Locale
Includes localized telephone and gateway tones. Network Locale and Combined Network Locale are synonymous. Combined Network Locales include network locales for all countries that are supported. A network locale covers the specific localisation needs of a country, these include telephone dial and ringing tones and those that are required by a gateway to generate local tones on the network (whether it is for IP networks or Time Division Multiplexing networks on the Public Switched Telephone Network) and network annunciators that are played via a gateway. Network locales are generally produced as a single package intended to cover all supported countries
Phone Only Locale
Includes localized device user interfaces and tones.
Locale Installer (LI) Releases
There are Locale Installer (LI) releases for every CUCM and CUPS major and minor releases. Standard version numbering is Major.Minor. Examples include: 7.1, 8.0, 8.5. Usually, there is no LI release for CUCM and CUPS maintenance (major.minor(maintenance) ex: 8.0(2), 8.0(3)) or service releases (ex: 8.0(3a)su1, 8.0(3a)su2).
What Version of Locale Installer should I apply when I upgrade my CUCM?
General rule: Apply the latest Locale Installer release that matches the major.minor version of CUCM. Released locale installers are available on cisco.com. Locate the latest LI with a major.minor number that matches your CUCM or CUP major.minor version. For example, the latest locale installer for CUCM 6.1.x is LI 184.108.40.2060-1 (as of December 2009). Here are some exceptions for the matching "major.minor" number rule:
- For CUCM release CUCM 220.127.116.114-1, and any CUCM 6.1 releases after CUCM 18.104.22.1684-1, please use locale version 6.1.3.x.
- CUCM 7.1.1 and CUCM 7.1.2 work only with LI 7.1.2.x. CUCM 7.1.3 and onwards work only with LI 7.1.3 and later release LI 7.1.x.
What type of Locale do I need to install?
You will need: CUCM User Locale for every CUCM server, CUP user locale for every CUP server. If you need network tones for countries which we have no supported User Locale yet, you will need to apply the Combined Network Locale Installer on every CUCM server. User locales are produced individually and are specific to a language and country combination. Network locales are generally produced as a single package intended to cover all supported countries. Network locales may be referred to to as combined network locales.
Do locales need to be installed on every Node?
Cisco Unified Communications Locale Installer MUST be applied to each and every Cisco Unified Communications Manager server in a cluster, starting with the publisher. After installation has completed, it is essential to reboot each and every platform in order for all user and network locale changes to become fully activated.
How to install locales?
Locale can be installed either from Network drive or from CD/DVD drive.
Option A: Install locale from network drive:
- Put the locale installer (*.cop.sgn) file on an FTP or SFTP server that the server you can access.
- Log into Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration.
- Navigate to Software Upgrades > Install/Upgrade. The Software Installation/Upgrade window displays.
- Choose Remote Filesystem from the Source list.
- Enter the path to the directory that contains the local installer file on the remote system in the Directory field.
If the upgrade file is located on a Linux or Unix server, you must enter a forward slash at the beginning of the directory path. For example, if the upgrade file is in the "patches" directory, you must enter "/patches". If the upgrade file is located on a Windows server, check with your system administrator for the correct directory path.
- In the Server field, enter the server name or IP address.
- In the User Name field, enter your user name on the remote server.
- In the User Password field, enter your password on the remote server.
- Select the SFTP protocol from the Transfer Protocol field.
- To continue the upgrade process, click Next.
- Choose the upgrade version that you want to install and click Next.
- In the next window, monitor the progress of the download.
- When the download completes, verify the checksum value against the checksum (if available) or the file you that downloaded that is shown on Cisco.com.
- Restart CUCM or CUP server after any new locale installs.
Option B: Install locale from CD/DVD:
- Burn the locale installer file into a CD/DVD.
- Follow the steps in "Install locale from network drive" except "Choose CD/DVD from the Source list" instead of "Choose Remote Filesystem from the Source list."
How to use Phone Only Locales (POLI)?
Cisco Unified Communications Locale Installer for Cisco Unified IP Phones ensures localized phones are kept up to date with the latest dictionaries after the firmware is upgraded. The full Cisco Unified Communications Locale Installer for Cisco Unified Communications Manager must be installed prior to installation of a Phone Only locale installer. For example, with CUCM 5.1 and Firmware 8.4.3, CUCM LI 5.1.x need to be installed first, then install Phone Only LI 8.4.3 for firmware updates.
Do I need to install a new Phone Only locale every time after I upgrade my IP phone firmware?
Cisco only releases Phone Only Locales for FW with changes on phone dictionaries or internationalization. In another words, we do not have Phone Only Locale Installer release for every FW release when it is not necessary. When customer upgrades the firmware without upgrade their CUCM, they should install the latest Phone Only locale with the same major.minor number with the new FW. For example, if you upgrade from FW 8.5.3 (with POLI 8.5.3) to FW 8.5.4, Phone Only Locale Installer 8.5.3 is also good for FW 8.5.4. If they upgrade FW from 8.5.4 to 9.0.1, you will need to install POLI 9.0.1.
Phone Only locale installer (PO LI) is a subset of the CUCM LI. PO LI is used for customers who upgrade IP phone firmware without upgrading CUCM.
Here is the version mapping between CUCM LI and PO LI:
|CUCM LI Version (match the CUCM version major.minor)||PO LI version (matches the IP phone firmware version major.minor)|
|CUCM LI 8.5.x||PO LI 9.1.x|
|CUCM LI 8.0.x||PO LI 9.0.x|
|CUCM LI 7.1.x||PO LI 8.5.x|
|CUCM LI 7.0.x||PO LI 8.4.x|
|CUCM LI 6.1.x||PO LI 8.3.x|
Where can I find language or device localization matrix?
IP Phone localization matrix and CUCM localization Matrix: http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/IPCBU_Languages
Does the Locale Installer register with the DRS for backup and restore?
Locale Installers, from version 22.214.171.124-1 onwards, no longer register with the DRS for backup and restore. Locales must be re-installed separately after a rebuild and before a restore.
Why IP phone 7945/65 font size become bigger when upgraded from CUCM LI 6.1 to CUCM LI 7.1 or later locales?
Font size change on Phone 7945/7965/7942/7962 was happened in CUCM LI 126.96.36.1990 with defect CSCsu11816 to align all the European locales 7945/7965/7962/7942 font size with English_US default locale. Basically, all European locales built after September, 2008 will have the bigger font size on phone 7945/7965/7942/7962.